There is a stage every Syracuse winter when you can’t locate the cause of the draft in your home. It could possibly be emanating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed well. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and chilly, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help save money and reduce drafty air from passing through your home, it’s essential to be able to recognize where these window drafts could be coming from and why. Here are some useful tips to pinpoint your Syracuse home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Search for gaps and fractures in unusual areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the typical windows with functional abilities and use a painless visual inspection.
- Inspect to guarantee that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket near the operable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Inspect the installation by determining if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only function as well as it is positioned.
- Call a specialist from Pella Windows and Doors in Syracuse to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve identified where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to address the foundation of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Syracuse a call at 315-565-0399 with any additional questions or prospective replacement needs.